Sunday, May 2, 2010

Final Blog Post: A Summary of What I Now Know 5.0

We covered so much this semester in such a short period of time that I’m almost at a loss for words when I click “View Blog” and see what I’ve really done. At times, I felt as though some of the blog assignments were going to result in a mass of students compiling a bunch of mainstream opinions in an effort to get a completed checklist. And here’s where I admit to myself that I was indeed wrong. I am NOT the person who is afraid to speak her mind. Debates with random strangers who happen to hear my voice of opinion are not unusual. In fact, I don’t feel challenged without a heated discussion every now and then. I thoroughly enjoyed reading comments made by other classmates that “got a rise” out of readers and even Dr. Strange from time to time. So here’s an overview of what I’ve learned just from EDM 310:

  • It’s okay to have virtual friends, even if you’ve never met.
  • Wikipedia is not the devil, but not a reliable or accepted source when writing a research paper.
  • Powerpoint Presentations are not that boring. Yes, they can be when that is the only type of lecture your Biology professor uses but they are not just for lectures. I have learned that Power Point in Google is a lot easier for me to use than Power Point in Microsoft Office.
  • Google Docs are so much fun! And oh so easy! I have had a Gmail account for nearly 4 years and I never knew that I could make a survey for friends and family to take at the convenience of a click of the mouse. I really like how many things Gmail has to offer. You can check your email, make a quick survey, work on a presentation for class, share pictures with family and friends on the web, Research using Google and receive e-mail updates from Blogger, Facebook, and many other social networks. I was really glad that I learned how many opportunities there were right before my very eyes while I was checking my e-mail.
  • I did not explore Picasa in great depths but I do have almost all of my albums uploaded on Picasa and when I get some free time to update my pictures, I will check it out with an open mind.
  • Comments 4 Kids was so special to me in several ways. I had no idea how much it would mean to these children that a complete stranger made a comment on their blogs. It was also really exciting to see how technology literate 6th graders were becoming these days. Whew, they are waaaay past the skills I possessed back then. I am inspired and enlightened by teachers like Mrs. Yollis and Mrs. Goerand who have made it possible for students to begin building a PLN at such a crucial age in today’s technology world.
  • The word Podcast was as unfamiliar as visiting a college for the first time. When I was first introduced to podcasts and our blog assignment that week was to “familiarize ourselves” with them, I was thinking ‘What about them?’ And until I recorded mine with two other students, I didn’t appreciate them. I had SO much fun making our first podcast. I am always the “talker” in conversations and I felt really comfortable taking the bull by its horns when we began recording. I have found many uses for podcasts in the future and will definitely be doing a few more of my own for more practice. Our podcast topic was to discuss the use of Google Earth and iTunes U in K-12 classrooms and this was a perfect topic because I was eager to learn the ins and outs of both programs. I will be using Google Earth in the classroom every day if possible. No matter what area of Science I am destined to teach, I see potential for Google Earth in every single subject.

Was I ever bored in this class? Not particularly. As I’ve mentioned before, there were times where I felt as though I really wouldn’t benefit from an assignment or project. I think it’s safe to say that I was wrong. There was never a time where I wasn’t learning something. There is nothing in this class that I have learned that I will intentionally or conveniently forget. I think that would be silly. Knowledge is power and who would want to loose part of something like power? Additionally, I do not feel like anything was incredible challenging intellectually however, I did have moments similar to “writer’s block” and those were times when I realized I needed to watch that video again. Did this class excite me? Yes. There were times when I wanted to yank my teeth out and throw them at Dr. Strange’s forehead, but I didn’t really want to do that. (I just thought about it) Hee hee. When I learned something in EDM 310 that I had tried to learn in the past but got frustrated and gave up, I got excited. I have become a lot more hopeful and confident in myself that I will succeed as an educator.

2 comments:

  1. "There were times when I wanted to yank my teeth out and throw them at Dr. Strange’s forehead," Your dentist just called me and said "She should have!"

    "I am NOT the person who is afraid to speak her mind. Debates with random strangers who happen to hear my voice of opinion are not unusual." I haven't read your final exam yet but it sounds like it was "right down your alley!"

    And keep up the debates. But be sure you can argue all sides effectively. My son Charles and I often carried on heated debates such as you describe at dinner since the assignment for everyone was to be prepared to take any side of an assigned topic at dinner. Charlie and I suddenly switched sides confounding his fiancee who was at dinner that evening to "meet the family." Leslie hurriedly went to the kitchen to tell Mrs. Strange what had happened. Diana's response was: "Oh they do that all the time." So keep on debating! It's good for your brain. I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingrid,

    Where ever you are you will make it interesting.

    ReplyDelete