Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 2: It's Not About the Technology, Vision of Students Today, Okay To Be A Technologically Literate Teacher?, & Social Media Count

It's Not About The Technology
I particularly enjoyed this article because since the time I decided I wanted to become a science teacher, I have often found myself wondering what in the world I'm going to teach my students without the most up to date technology in my classroom. Then I remind myself that learning was pretty basic back in my mom's day (and my day too, of course). But the technology didn't integrate itself into every classroom. Not every single teacher uses smart board and has access to computers in his/her own classroom.
I liked how one person commented "The tool doesn't make the teacher." I couldn't agree more. I do not expect to know everything much less know everything before my students do. I expect to learn a lot from my students and if I don't learn anything from them, trust me when I say I will be worried. I think that some educators rely heavily on technology itself to teach the objectives. We've let our minds get lazy while our fingers are busy.


A Vision of Students
I think this video does portray some college students but it does not speak for all of us. I do not bring my laptop to class for one reason: I don't want to be tempted to surf the web while I'm in a lecture. I am going to be paying back Student Loans for the next 30 years so my idea of going to class does not consist of Facebook and virtual card games. I liked the way this video was made but I think it could of been more positive about experiences a college student could expect to have.
This movie captured a small fraction of my experience thus far in college. I have bought textbooks for hundreds of dollars that I never opened. However, I didn't open them just because I had piles of Calculus homework sitting on my desk. . I have often had instructors who stated that what they taught couldn't be found in the book and to close the book during lecture. I have also had college instructors made the class inevitably passable without even taking the plastic cover off of the book. I hope that I never make my students feel like they will learn what is intended by listening to the sound of my voice. This alone tells the students that you know everything and that is exactly what the big misconception is all about in today's classrooms.


Gary's Social Media Count
Wow. What does the social media count mean to me? Well it means the same thing that most of these other videos mean. The rapid growth of technology ... I am surprised at the numbers, but then again I'm not. I honestly must say that if I re took the survey that was given to the class during the first week of school, I would admit that I wasn't technology literate. I had no idea how many possibilities existed through the use of a computer. Although I am a little nervous that I won't be prepared for my students and the knowledge they bring to my classroom, I am however eager to learn. Thank God for EDM 310, right?

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the comment you made about teachers learning from students. There is nothing wrong with this idea. That is what learning is all about helping each other and bringing a big pool of ideas together. Also, you made a good point of how professors will tell students you do not have a book. Just listen to my voice. Teaching and learning comes from more than just listening, writing, and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very insightful. I like how you recognize the need for this class. It was hard for me to admit at first, but I think this information will be very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "if I re took the survey that was given to the class during the first week of school, I would admit that I wasn't technology literate." I would think that applies to a lot of your fellow students. It changes every day. I'm glad you see a use for EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right that it doesn't matter what we (educators) know, it is what our students learn that matters. Our job isn't to be the smartest one in the room, it is to help our students learn. Since learning is active we can't expect them to pick it up while being passive.
    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete