Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 4: Langwitches & Judy Scharf's Podcast Collectiobn

Langwitches Blog: Pod casting with 3rd Grade
My initial reaction to the first paragraph on the Langwitches blog was, "Wow!" I don't know why I am still so surprised to hear about 3rd graders owning iPods, but I am. I suppose I am also a little intimidated with what the future holds in store for my three year old son. I can hardly afford to keep myself up with the latest gadgets, much less my child's technology expenses. Nevertheless, I was impressed with the assignment described on the homepage of this site. 3rd graders were researching different animals online using links provided by their teacher. They used Audacity to record their class podcast and learned how to record, pause, edit clips, move tracks, and import audio files. I sure as heck don't know how to do anything other than press record, stop, and play in Audacity so I must admit- I was slightly jealous of these 3rd graders and their knowledge on endangered animals in Florida! Who knew!

Judy Scharf's Podcast Collection
I found the link to a YouTube video on "How to make a Podcast using Audacity" to be one of the most helpful resources for myself personally. I particularly enjoy these kind of videos (on YouTube) to sort of guide me through the first step of downloading a program to actually applying myself by using the program. I am a visual learner so sometimes I find it difficult to teach myself by simply reading instructions written in the Syllabus. I plan on searching for more of the same type of videos on YouTube to help me throughout my Intellectual Journey in EDM 310.

Comments for Kids: 4
I read a poem titled "Campfire" by a sixth grader named Katie in Mrs. Goerand's sixth grade class. Katie did an excellent job creating a wonderful visualization of the perfect camping experience. She used "sizzle" adjectives that made me wish I was sitting by the campfire and thinking 'I'm right where I ought to be.' (That was her ending line in the poem.) Hopefully my comment gave Katie the praise and inspiration she needs to keep up the magnificent poetry!

Week 3 Assignments: Getting familiar with Podcasts

Prior to these assignments for our class, I had never listened to an audio podcast before. The name 'Podcast' sounds like something I would be intimidated by, but after listening to one of many by Ben Hazzard and Joan Badger I was put at ease. However, I was a little confused about what the hype was all about concerning podcasts in general. Ben Hazzard used a lot of terms I was not familiar with at all and navigating through the different recordings was slightly challenging because I couldn't jump in half way through and say "Oh I know exactly what they are talking about." To be honest, I still have no idea what I was supposed to learn from these podcasts. I am hoping it was just to get our feet wet with an introduction to making podcasts.

5 comments:

  1. Ingrid, I can appreciate your comment about the costs of keeping the kids in iPods, etc. I have never checked on this, but does the library rent iPod Touches or Pads? I wonder if that will be a trend since books (boo hoo) may be on the outs.

    I too am still impressed with the level of knowledge with the young kids. It's so great! I have a second grader and it has been amazing sharing with her what I am learning in EDM310. My 4 year old enjoys the sites and blogs of other children. She likes to know where they live. This is my effort to get "caught up" as a technology literate mom, and future teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie,

    I don't know if libraries rent out iPod accessories, but that is a good idea! I imagine there would be a small fee to rent something like that, but I could be wrong. That's awesome that your children enjoy blogging! I am excited to share my new wealth of knowledge with my son as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingrid,
    I am still blown away too at the fact that 3rd graders are using technology like they are these days. And don't worry, your not alone in feeling lost about the podcast lingo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to your reaction to the 3rd graders! We are in a college course, and they know more than we do about this stuff. It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also really surprised at third graders owning iPods. My parents didn't let me have a cellphone until i was 17 and my 10 year old cousin has a cell phone now. It's so weird how the culture changes so quickly.

    ReplyDelete