Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Week 10: An Open Letter to Educators

I too have felt cheated at times throughout my education at USA. The funny thing is, I didn’t really feel this way during my first two years of college which I completed at a community college. The classes were smaller and believe it or not, my instructors knew my name. It seemed a lot easier to find one on one help from my professors there and I sure enough opened my textbooks more than twice in almost all of my classes.

I don’t, however, agree that we are still using a model of schooling created hundreds of years ago. I say this simply because hundreds of years ago there wasn’t blogging or virtual interactions between students. The class that I mentioned earlier, Micro-computing Systems in Education, has taught me several new ways to use the internet and there isn’t a textbook for this class so obviously we do all of our work on the computer. Given this video was rather short, I would like to know more about why Dan made the decision to drop out of college because his “schooling was interfering with his education.” Could Dan of done something to change his experience in college?

1 comment:

  1. Ingrid I agree with you that school is a lot easier when the classes are smaller, allowing that one on one interaction you mentioned. I think in a sense we should go back to that way where life is easier but they are making ways possible through the internet and skype like you said. And it is pretty interesting how this could be the way we teach in a few years. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete