Thursday, April 8, 2010

Comments for Kids: 12 (No Week 11)


This week I met Simon. He is 6 years old and a student in Ms. Jenny's class, Room 7, in Pt. England School located in Auckland, New Zealand. I included some art work Simon had displayed on his Blog. I wrote to Simon: "Hi Simon! My name is Ingrid and I am a college student at the University of South Alabama. My school is located in Mobile, Alabama. Although we are really far away from each other, i got to see your blog on my computer and am very excited for you that your Mom came to your classroom and got to see all of the wonderful pictures you drew for her! You are a wonderful artist. It looks like your teacher, Ms. Jenny, is a wonderful teacher and has many creative and talented students in Room 7. It was very nice to meet you, Simon! Great Job on your Blog so far!!"
Week 12: Dear Kaia

I can absolutely relate to Kaia's father and the experience he shared with her when they made her first photo essay. I especially enjoyed reading how Kaia's dad illustrated how something ugly can be seen as beautiful depending on the way you look at it. I have a three year old son named Zachary and he is fascinated with the camera alone. He enjoys watching slide shows of the pictures I take of him and our family. I have not introduced him to connections around the globe that I have began experiencing, but I must say I am inspired after "virtually" meeting Kaia. One thing that I find somewhat bothersome is the limited time that working parents are able to spend with their children. I know a lot of single parents who spend a sad 2-3 hours with their child/children a week. I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to attend college, work a full-time job, and somehow find time in between to have quality time with anyone for that matter. My son is 3 and anyone that knows me well will tell you that each and every moment of spare time I have, I spend it with him. I take day classes and try to complete all of my assignments in between them so that when I get home, the whole evening is devoted to him. I am often hit with the realization that my social life has become extinct. Am I totally fine with this? Absolutely. Kids are only kids for so long. The time I spend with him now is crucial; he is developing the skills and knowledge and every day life lessons that will impact his entire future. I can only blame myself if he isn't given opportunities (much like Kaia's) that have a profound impact him from this day out. With that being said, one of the reasons I decided to become a teacher was for this exact reason. A teacher isn't just a teacher for young children. We are a "parent away from home" and we must not forget this. A lot of parents don't get to spend the quality time their children need at home, and I truly believe it is up to us to fill in these gaps. Children look up to adults. We are creating the next generation each and every day we teach. If that doesn't give you chills down your spine and fill your soul with excitement, perhaps you should consider why YOU are becoming a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. You have a beautiful son, I have 2 boys. I do find it challenging to find a balance between college and family life but somehow we make it happen.

    ReplyDelete